Michael Jordan Tells Court He Felt No Fear of the Racing Body in Antitrust Trial

The basketball icon, introducing himself formally in a Charlotte court on Friday, admitted that his competitive side and novelty within the sport emboldened his effort with 23XI Racing to confront Nascar over alleged violations of competition laws.

Team Investment and a Competitive Drive

Jordan shared operational insights of his 23XI team, revealing he put in $40m of his personal wealth into the Cup Series operation launched with business partner Curtis Polk and longtime driver Denny Hamlin.

“It fell to someone to act,” Jordan stated during testimony. “I was a new person, I had no fear. I believed I could take on Nascar in its entirety. From my perspective, the sport required examination from a different view.”

Central Issue: Franchise System and Renewal Demands

At issue is the end of a 2016 agreement where Nascar provided each team a “charter”. The concept is similar to other professional sports with separately owned franchises, such as the NBA’s Hornets or the Carolina Panthers. The agreement was due to end in 2024 when Nascar demanded charter membership renewals.

Jordan testified for an hour and left the court to pandemonium, with onlookers and reporters clamoring for a glimpse or a picture of the global icon.

Leading the Legal Charge

23XI Racing is at the forefront of the push along with another racing team for Nascar to overhaul a operating model Jordan said is breaking the law to keep two hands on the wheel.

For Jordan and and Heather Gibbs, who preceded Jordan, are details from last September. Gibbs described a hectic and tense six hours where the racing circuit informed teams they had to sign a contract extension. The document consists of over a hundred pages detailing pay for chartered teams and a guaranteed entry in Nascar-sponsored races.

A Refusal to Sign

Jordan explained that 23XI and Front Row Motorsports concluded their sole viable path was to refuse a signature that extensive document and litigate the matter. The other 13 organizations signed the agreement.

Jordan and co-owner Denny Hamlin approached Nascar about possible changes or extension options. Nascar refused to engage, according to his testimony.

The Ultimate Motivation: Victory

But in the end, the pushback against what he saw as a financially unsustainable model was mostly about the usual bottom line for Jordan: Success.

“Denny convinced me adding a third car improved our chances to win,” he said, noting that he bought a third charter last year for $28 million amid the legal dispute. “So I took the plunge.”

Heather Gibbs’ Testimony

Heather Gibbs detailed her request for permanent charters, which she said a written letter to Nascar. She testified the pressure of the contract signing demand didn’t sit well.

She said, Joe Gibbs first attempted to call and persuade Nascar against demanding signatures, but CEO Jim France declined the request.

“Please don’t force this on us,” Heather Gibbs said was the message to Nascar’s leadership. The response was, “If I wake up and I have 20 charters, I have 20. If I have 30, that’s the number.”
Stephanie Roberts
Stephanie Roberts

Lena is a seasoned sports analyst with over a decade of experience in betting strategies and statistical modeling.